Most people associate PTSD, or post-traumatic stress disorder, with military people who come home from a deployment. While this group of people does have a higher tendency of PTSD, the illness can develop in anyone who experienced a traumatic event. If you’ve been in a car accident, it’s important to know the signs of PTSD and who can help you.
Signs of PTSD After a Car Accident
There are many symptoms of PTSD, including but not limited to:
- Reliving the traumatic event, which may be in the form of nightmares or flashbacks
- Avoiding things that remind you of the event. For example, you may avoid riding in a car or going to the place you were going when the accident occurred
- Sudden outbursts of agitation and irritability
- Difficulty sleeping and concentrating on tasks
- Startling easily, especially by loud noises or noises that remind you of the accident
- Feeling hopeless or depressed
- Feeling anxious, even when completing normal daily activities
It’s important to take the signs of PTSD seriously and recognize that they are connected to a traumatic event, even if the event occurred a while ago.
Getting Help and Compensation for PTSD After a Car Accident
If you exhibit signs of PTSD after a car accident, it’s critical to let your doctors know about your symptoms. Your doctor can help you find solutions that fit your needs, including medication, therapy, or a combination of the two.
If the car accident causing your PTSD was the result of someone else’s negligence or carelessness, you may be eligible for compensation. Most people assume that compensation for a car accident is only for vehicle damage, lost wages, and physical injuries. However, compensation is also obtained for serious emotional trauma and suffering, including PTSD. Medications, therapy sessions, and other associated costs might be included in your claim for compensation.
Contact Chalker Injury Law Today
After being involved in a car accident, don’t hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible, even if you weren’t seriously physically injured in the crash. At Chalker Injury Law, we know how mentally and emotionally devastating a car accident can be, and we’re prepared to provide you with the compassionate and caring help that you need.
Call us today to speak with one of our lawyers during a consultation at (678) 319-9991.